I love a good gravy with my rice. Many people refer to this as curry – in general I believe curry and gravy are interchangeable. They do have their differences by both can be added to something very dry. At home we call this type of food shaak (a dish made up of several different combinations of vegetables and spices, which may be either spicy or sweet). Being gujarati we like to add a bit of sweetness to the heat. The recipe below is a fusion dish – American Indian – just like me. Hope you enjoy it. Please feel free to leave a comment.
Video: Here is a quick video of how easy this gravy is to make. Exact measurements below.
- 15-20 white button mushrooms
- Handful of dehydrated shiitake mushrooms
- 1 medium size yellow or white onion
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cups Regal Harvest Basmati Rice
- Optional – 1/2 teaspoon of minced green chilies
Cooking and Assembly:
- In a sauce pan boil 1 cup of water and add rice. Simmer on low heat while making gravy.
- Slice onion into long strips. Set aside. In a deep sauté pan or sauce pan at medium heat add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and coat pan. Add onions once the oil has coated the whole pan. Stir occasionally until the onions are translucent.
- Add rest of olive oil, mushroom, and garlic. Sauté till water is released from mushrooms and they start to shrink.
- Add broth. Then add shiitake mushrooms. Lower heat from medium to low. Allow to bubble for 5-10 minutes until gravy turns darker. Note the shiitake mushrooms should be their original size after hydration in the broth.
- Then add all spices – turmeric, garam masala, granulated sugar, and cumin. Fold into mixture and stir for 1 minute.
- Serve with rice. Optional garnish adds – 1) Chopped green chilies 2) Cilantro 3) Fresh squeeze lemon or lime.
2 responses to “Spicy Mushroom Gravy”
Mushrooms are like meat…but tastier
Thank you! Totally agree