Do you ever go out to a restaurant and think to yourself – I wish I could make that for myself? This is how I have always felt about gyros. I never tried the meat but I always had the fresh veggies with tzatziki and hummus. My husband always raves about the Mediterranean street cart food in NYC. Now that we are Denver and far from the streets of NYC – thought it would be a great time to start making this at home.
We were really educated on the different kinds of vegan meat for gyros by our favorite vegan friendly truck in Downtown Denver – Uptown & Humboldt This recipe below is inspired by my love of street food and great chefs we met along the way. Thank you to NYC and Denver foodies!
What is your favorite street food?
Ingredients and Assembly for 1 Sandwich:
- 1 Field Roast Sage & Garlic Plant Based Celebration Roast
- 1/2 cup of shredded lettuce
- Sliced small tomato
- Sliced small onion
- 1 teaspoon of tzatziki (more if you like it!)
- 1 teaspoon of hummus (more if you like it!)
- 1 tablespoon of Zesty Z Za’atar
- 2 slices of wheat bread, or 1 pita roll, or 1 wrap
- Cut up the roast into broad long pieces thickness based on your preference
- In a saucepan add 1 tablespoon olive oil, add 1 tablespoon of the za’atar, and sliced roast. Gentle stir. Wait until browned. The roast may breakdown if you stir too much.
- Spread hummus and tzatziki
- Add on tomato, onion, lettuce, and roast.