Pulled Pork is a very Southern dish. I really got to know it after marrying my husband who was raised in Alabama and has lived in TX and TN -all over the South. Some states have a spicy smokey taste and some have a sweet BBQ sauce that goes into the sandwich. The variations are pretty cool but not for everyone’s palate.
Generally speaking I like my food savory. A little dash of sweetness to cut the spice is great but not too much. I do really love the smokey flavor of Chipotle and Cumin so added that when in traditional recipes do not always focus on it – but when cooking meat it becomes part of the taste. Decided to emulate that smokey cooking taste in the sauce below. It has a nice kick and you should have most of the ingredients for the sauce in your pantry. Leave a comment if you do try it – would like to know how you like it! Cheers.
Ingredients for BBQ sauce:
- 1/4 teaspoon Chile Chipotle Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon Crushed Cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon Mustard
- 1 tablespoon of Honey
- 1/4 chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 package of Jackfruit
Ingredients for the rest of the slider
- Slaw – I use the Dole prepackaged slaw from the grocery store
- Sliders – I used sweet Hawaiian slider buns
- Pickles – Need a little tart flavor to the slaw
Cooking and Assembly Instructions
- Start with warming up the oil in a sauce pan on medium heat. Once it is warm add the chopped onions. Then put on low heat. Cooked until almost translucent. Add in all the spices and sauté until well mixed for 2minutes or until fragrant. Then add the ketchup, apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard, and honey. Stir until everything is well mixed to together. Cook per directions for 8-10 minutes for desired consistency. Stir occasionally. You will notice that the jackfruit will soften.
- While the jackfruit is cooking you can assemble the sliders. For the slaw you can go by the package. I usually forgo adding the dressing and usually add the spice packets. If you buy just the shredded slaw you only need to add salt and pepper.
- Cannot have sliders without pickles! On the bun place a teaspoon of slaw, a tablespoon of jackfruit and then the pickle. A toothpick will help keep it together.
- Some people like a little bit of mayo – but I think the sauce has a lot of flavor and it is not necessary
- Dressing in the slaw – a good plain slaw with a juicy sauce is great but definitely look into this option if you plan on eating the slaw plain.