One of my favorite vegetables is the red pepper – it has a rich taste and is comes through in sauces and soups. Usually on Friday night my husband and I do pizza and wine. This Friday was a change from the routine with pasta, garlic bread, and wine. It was a great hearty meal on a snowy day. The recipe below is low calorie – the red pepper does most of the heavy lifting to make the sauce awesome.
Drop a comment!
- 3 red peppers
- 20 cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
- 3 small cloves of garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon of miso
- 1 fresno pepper (optional)
- 1 box of rigatoni
- Cut pepper into thick chucks ( remove the internal proliferation) – I just split it down the middle and created two large pieces.
- Roast peppers and tomatoes – In a pan with at least 1/2 inch depth spread out the peppers and tomatoes. Cover with olive oil. You can use 1/4 cup a thin layer is enough. Make sure the roasted peppers are cover – top and bottom.
- Let the vegetables cook in the oven at 400 F ( 425 F at high altitude) for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the over when done and let cool. It should be cool enough to touch when you peel off the skin of the red peppers.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to a blend and make sure it is a sauce.
- Boil and cook pasta – reserve 1/4 cup of the starchy water for the sauce.
- Mix the pasta, reserve water, and red pepper sauce.