Eggplant is such a hearty vegetable! It has so much flavor… and today I am breading it and adding it to my sandwich. Here is the scrumptious recipe for you to try!
~ 1/2 eggplant
~ 1/2 cup of mixed salad greens
~ Few slices of onion
~ 1 1/2 tablespoon of sun dried tomato pesto
~ 1/2 cup all purpose flour
~ 1 egg ( you can add cornstarch to make it vegan. 1-2 tablespoons should do it)
~ Optional (Flaming Hot Cheetos – additional recipe at the end)
~ 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
~ 1 slice of mozzeralla
Cooking & Assembly
1) Preheat oven to 400 (425 if you are at high altitude) and while the oven is warming up cut the eggplant into 1/2 inch thick discs. Then sprinkle with sea salt (regular salt is fine too if you do not have sea salt) and let sit for 10-15 minutes. You will see droplets of water form on your eggplant. Wipe off with an absorbent towel.
2) Dip each eggplant disc in egg wash ( or corn starch) – then dip in flour. Make sure both sides are coated in each dipping step. Place eggplant on pan which has been greased with olive oil ( you can use spray if you have it).
3) Place in oven for 25 minutes. 30 if you like it crispy.
4) While the eggplant is in the oven – you can toast your bread – add mozzarella cheese on top so it is melty!
5) When the eggplant is done – let stand for 1 minute to cool. Spread sun dried tomato pesto on the slice that does not have the mozzarella. Add onion, mixed greens and eggplant.
Bonus – Flamin Hot Cheetos
1) Crush up Flamin Hot Cheetos so it is as small as breadcrumbs
2) Pour into a bowl – you can do an extra dip after the flour.
3) Dip order goes like this: Egg – Flour – Egg – Flamin Hot Cheetos
Picture for you!